Six Reasons Copenhagen Might Be The Coolest Kid In Europe
The second largest city in Scandanavia, Copenhagen (locally, København) is quickly becoming an "it" destination in Europe, and for good reason. The capital of Denmark is beautiful, edgy yet sophisticated, laid-back, and filled with cultural gems.
Here's six reasons why I believe Copenhagen would be on top of the guest list if Europe were to throw an A-List party.
1. The Danes are a wonderful people. Their dry sarcasm and friendly attitude combine to make interactions with the locals something to look forward to. They're happy to help you get where you're going and will appreciate an opportunity to giggle at your wild mis-pronunciation of anything Danish.
2. Coffee. Rich, smooth, perfected coffee. The Danes have seriously nailed it. If you love your java, head to one of Coffee Collective's three locations for a life-affirming, jet-lag busting Cappuccino made by a truly gifted barista.
3. Beauty all around. Whether admiring the kaleidoscope facade of Nyhavn or basking in one of the city's lush and manicured parks, you'll be struck by what an absolutely beautiful city Copenhagen is. Everywhere you turn seems to be another photo just waiting to be taken.
4. A foodie's dreamscape. Whether you decide to grab a juicy brat at one of the city's famous pølsevogns (sausage wagons) - I highly recommend the Riset Hot Dog - or win your way into world-famous Noma, you certainly won't be let down by Copenhagen's culinary landscape. Make sure to try delicious local dishes, such as smørrebrød - an open-faced sandwich/masterpiece built atop a slice of dark rye bread.
5. Fashion at it's finest. My visit happened to coincide with CIFF - Copenhagen's fashion week - and the already trendy Danes were certainly in top form. Chic, modern, and a little edgy seems to be the recipe for Danish style success. Find stunning examples of this at local designer's shops along Elmegade or Istedgade.
6. Nothing is cooler than seeing an aforementioned stylish Dane riding an oh-so-stylish set of wheels. Second only to Amsterdam, Copenhagen is the most bike-friendly city in the world. If you don't have a bike, you simply can't be Danish. It's a way of life here, and the main mode of transport at nearly any time of year. There are plenty of places to rent a set of wheels when you're in town, but if you plan ahead, you can borrow a functional, refurbished bike from non-profit organization copenhagenfreebikerental.org for a whopping zero kroner. That's right - for free. Doesn't get much cooler than that. X
Click the photo below to scroll through my Copenhagen Gallery!